Prepare to turn back the clock and appreciate the 1980s’ colorful, vibrant, and varied fashion. You’re in for a nostalgic and fashion-forward experience if you’ve been invited to an 80s-themed party. The 1980s were defined by their distinct and iconic fashion, which included bright hues, shoulder pads, leg warmers, and wild patterns.
Whether you want to go for a Madonna-inspired look, a rocker vibe, or a preppy style, this article will show you how to steal the show at your next 80s party and relive the fashion frenzy of the decade.
What To Wear To An 80s Party Female?
A 1980s-themed celebration is an excellent opportunity to embrace the decade’s bold and eclectic fashion trends. Here is a guide on what women should wear to a 1980s party:
- Outfit: Begin with a bright-colored or black layered tulle skirt. Combine it with a mesh or lingerie top. A corset belt wrapped around the midriff would add drama.
- Accessories: Accessorize lavishly with numerous long necklaces, elbow-length lace gloves, and large cross earrings. Madonna was known for her collection of rubber bracelets, so add a few of those, too.
- Makeup: Think dark, dramatic eyes and crimson lips for your makeup. Eyeliner in black is a must. Additionally, you could apply a beauty mark near your mouth for authenticity.
- Hair: Tease your hair to increase volume. Consider wearing a bow atop your head, as Madonna frequently did so. If you’re ready to make a commitment, you should go blonde!
2. Flashdance Look
- Outfit: The focal point of this ensemble is an oversized, off-the-shoulder sweatshirt. This may be worn over hosiery or leggings. If you’re feeling daring, pair your outfit with leg warmers in a contrasting hue.
- Accessories: Choose colorful headbands as an accessory. Additionally, you could add wristbands to complete the appearance.
- Shoes: High-top sneakers or ballet flats are appropriate footwear for this design. Remember that comfort is essential because Flashdance was all about dancing.
- Makeup and Hair: Go for a natural makeup look, but don’t be afraid to apply a touch of pink blush. Your hair should appear slightly disheveled and full of volume as if you just finished a dance exercise.
3. Cyndi Lauper Vibes
- Outfit: Consider layering for this style. Under an oversized shirt or a corset, layer a vibrant tank top. A colorful, ruffled skirt would pair well with ripped fishnet hosiery.
- Accessories: Cyndi Lauper was fond of wearing chunky jewelry. Layer multiple bangles on your wrists, wear large hoops or dangling earrings and don’t neglect to include a few long, colorful bead necklaces.
- Makeup: Lauper’s appearance requires colorful eyeshadow, possibly in a rainbow pattern, and thick eyeliner and mascara. The color of the lips can be pink or red.
- Hair: If possible, choose a colorful wig or temporary hair pigment in colors such as pink and blue. Add a bow or bandana, then tease it to the heavens.
Generic ’80s Elements to Add to Any Look:
- Neon and Pastels: Do not underestimate the ability of color to communicate a decade. Bright neon colors like pink, green, and yellow immediately invoke the ’80s. Additionally, pastels were very prevalent and can create a softer appearance.
- Animal Prints: Animal prints such as leopard and zebra can lend a touch of wildness and flair to your 1980s ensemble. Even a simple scarf or pair of earrings with animal motifs can make a bold fashion statement.
- Denim and Leather: Denim jackets, particularly when adorned with buttons or patches, were a staple of the 1980s. In particular, when paired with lace or frills, leather jackets, particularly in biker styles, lend a ’80s vibe.
- Athletic Wear: Tracksuits in vibrant colors or with bold side stripes give off an ’80s athletic vibe. This ensemble goes well with high-top footwear and, of course, a couple of sweatbands.
By combining these elements, you can create an ensemble that pays homage to the diversity and flamboyance of 1980s fashion. Enjoy your time traveling at the festivities!
This was all about what to wear to an 80S party female. The key to dressing appropriately for a 1980s party is to go big, bold, and completely tubular! Remember to have fun with your costume, regardless of whether you choose to channel the glamour of the musical icons, the rebellious edge of punk, or the preppy charm of the era.
The 1980s were all about self-expression and fashion boundaries being pushed, so don’t be afraid to mix and match, layer on accessories, and embrace bright colors. Prepare to celebrate as if it were 1989!
Thank you for reading!